How To Simplify The Process Of Creating A Will In Tampa
Tackling important tasks you previously put off is a great way to start a new year. If you do not already have one, put creating a will at the top of your to-do list. Many people delay doing this, thinking they do not actually need one or lack the time.
The fact is a will is something everyone should have, regardless of age, earnings, or current health, and is not difficult to create. Our Tampa wills attorney offers tips to help simplify the process.
Outlining Your Goals In Creating A Will
A will is one of the most important estate planning documents in Tampa. It provides a thorough inventory of all homes, cars, personal belongings, or other property and assets you possess, designates who you want to inherit from your estate, and determines how everything is divided.
Gallup polls indicate less than half of all adults do not have one in place. There is a common misconception it is costly or complicated to create and you only need one if you make a lot of money. The fact is that a will simply conveys your wishes in the event of your death, acts as a guide through probate court proceedings, and helps to ensure those you love are provided for properly.
Everyone has different goals in creating a will. One of the first steps is outlining yours. This may include:
- Making things easier for your spouse;
- Providing for children;
- Wanting your business or other holdings to continue making money once you are gone;
- Ensuring collectibles, heirlooms, antiques, or other valuable objects remain in the family and in the right hands;
- Providing for pets, non-profits, or charitable organizations.
Simple Tasks To Complete As Part Of The Wills Process
A will acts as a guide through Hillsborough County Probate Court proceedings in the event of your death. It allows your final affairs to be handled in the specific way you want, rather than relying on what the law formally dictates. While it addresses potentially complex issues regarding property rights and legal relationships, it is relatively easy to create. The following steps help simplify the process:
- Make a thorough inventory of all your current property, assets, and any benefits you may be entitled to;
- Calculate your total worth, subtracting any outstanding debts;
- Make a list of who you want to inherit from your estate;
- Determine what you want them to receive;
- Consider whether you want to provide ongoing support, in which case creating a trust may be an option.
Finally, jot down your final wishes in terms of a funeral and burial, along with any sentiments you want to pass on after you are gone. Keep these documents with your will and let someone you trust know the location.
Schedule A Consultation With Our Tampa Wills Attorney
At Strategic Counsel Law Group, L.C., we provide trusted legal guidance in putting a will and other important estate planning documents in Tampa together. To schedule a consultation with our Tampa wills attorney, contact our office today.